Line electrification from Liverpool Street in 1960 led to the withdrawal of the first fourteen of the class and by 1962, the entire class was withdrawn from service, none being preserved. Built at Darlington Works as Works No. 2020, L1 No. 67702 entered service at 30A Stratford Shed on January 22, 1948, in LNER livery and numbered as 9001. Re-numbering under the British Railways’ scheme followed shortly after, on May 15, 1948 but curiously the locomotive retained its LNER branding and green livery until its first general repair in mid-November 1948. 67702 was the first of the class to be withdrawn, on October 31, 1960, at Darlington Works.